Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) is something we receive quite a few questions about. Although it's a simple concept, there are a few things you need to understand before sending one.
What is an MMS?
In it's most simple definition, an MMS is essentially a more visual version of an SMS. Here are a few reasons why businesses love using MMS solutions:
- You can send pictures, videos, sounds, and animated gifs directly inside an MMS
- In addition to your multimedia creative, you will also have a space for text in the form of a subject line + message copy
- Subject line limit: 20 characters
- Message copy limit: 1,000 characters
- Recommended file formats are: .jpg, .wmv, .gif, and .mp3
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that we got that out of the way, let's answer the top 3 questions that business have:
1) What is the difference between SMS and MMS?
- SMS = Although you can use special unicode characters, emojis, or link your clients to websites, images, or videos - your message recipient will only receive it in a text format. This is perfect for sending out keyword campaigns and having quick 2 Way SMS interactions.
- MMS = This allows you to do everything that SMS can do with exception to having the ability to use keywords or 2 Way SMS. You will however have the ability to send multimedia files directly to your recipient's phone, without having them click on link. There are three visual components to MMS, and they are shown in the following order:
- 1) Subject Title
- 2) Creative - Picture, animated gif, video, or sound
- 3) Message copy
|SMS vs MMS|
|Subject Title||Not Available||Up to 20 characters|
|Message Copy||Up to 612 Characters
*1-3x Concatenation after 160*
|Up to 1,000 Characters
|Custom Sender ID||Available||Not Available|
|2 Way SMS||Available||Not Available|
|Unique Link Tracking||Available||Not Available|
|Multimedia Files||Not Available||.jpg, .wmv, .gif, and .mp3|
|Pricing||Based on # of messages||Based on overall file size|
SMS vs MMS Visual Example
2) How much does MMS cost?
Since MMS allows you to do more and send larger files, the price is significantly higher. For a quote, fill in this form and we will get back to you. We recommend you keep your file size under 215kb. Your overall file size + message volume will determine what your cost is.
3) How can I send an MMS?
Currently, you won't find an MMS option inside your Burst SMS account. The reason for this is because we only provide a Managed MMS service at the moment, which means we essentially do all the work for you. Just simply click here to fill in a form, and we will get back to you. All you need to do is prepare your creative, and we can take care of the rest. If you are unable to prepare your own creative, then we can also quote you on a custom design.
If you're interested in sending out an MMS campaign, click the link below and we will be in touch.